Eating healthy becomes even more important as people age because they don’t only help you manage weight but also may reduce your risk of chronic illnesses associated with old age. Today, we’ve listed foods to eat and foods to avoid for people over 40 to help you plan your meals and incorporate these healthy foods into your diet.
Foods to Eat for People Over 40
- Almonds: Possessing the ability of lowering blood sugar levels, almonds are wonder foods to help you reduce risk to diabetes. They don’t only lower blood sugar, but they also help you combat against arthritis, cardiovascular disease and gout. A study conducted on 22 adults showed that the participants were able to reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) by up to six percent after replacing about one-third of their fat food sources with almonds. For best results, choose plain over salted varieties, which can raise blood pressure.
- Calcium: Take more of it (RDA: 1000 mg for men; 1,200 mg for women). To get calcium, eat nuts and green vegetables and drink whole milk. You can add whole milk to cereals, porridge, coffee, tea and smoothies. But if you were deciding on taking calcium supplements, you should ask your doctor about the right products with proper calcium dosage to avoid developing prostate cancer (men).
- Lean chicken meat: Have 200 grams of breast chicken meat for muscle-building and weight management and because it contains only one gram of saturated fat, making it a good alternative to red meat.
- Tomatoes: Being rich in licopene, they lower your risk to cancer, especially if you consume them after workout and help prevent risk to eye-disease associated with aging.
- Cherries: They are not only low in calories but are also high in antioxidants, so they can help in preventing both cancer and heart disease. Replace traditional snacks with cherries, especially before sleeping. Aside from them having high levels of antioxidants, they also contain potassium and fiber. They also aid in sleeping, avoid inflammation and help in digestion.
- Broccoli: Known as an anti-aging vegetable, it is a good source of vitamins A, C, E and K. It can help in keeping bones strong, supplying the body with folate and iron and blocking cancer cell development.
- Oatmeal: One problem with aging is high risk to high blood pressure and it is preventable by consuming oatmeal, with loads of fiber and protein, reducing your appetite, aiding in digestion and supplying the body with protein.
- Garlic: Containing loads of manganese, a trace mineral aiding in bodily functions, garlic is a wonder food to include in your diet and has phytochemicals that detoxifies the body and stimulate enzyme production.
Foods to AVOID for People Over 40
- Soda is packed with fructose, caffeine and refined sugar. Instead, drink only water and fruit juices.
- White bread, along with low-fiber cereals, rolls and pasta, is another food to avoid for over 40 because it causes sugar spikes and worsens arthritis.
- Red meat (in beef) is linked with cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol, increasing your risk to heart disease and diabetes.
- Pancakes (*added with syrup), although easy to prepare and seem harmless, are not good for you.
- Fried foods, such as chips, French fries and fried meat with loads of oil clog your arterial walls. If you cannot forgo fried food, have fish, vegetables and other healthier alternatives.
By keeping this list of foods to eat and foods to avoid for people over 40, you will be able to plan your meals better, while you’re also working your way to a disease-free, weight-healthy and happy life. Bookmark and share this article with your peers today!